Monday, October 5, 2009

CEJ's new interns from UB School of Social Work

Bina Ahmed
I’m a graduate student at the School of Social Work at University at Buffalo with special interest in International Social Work and Community Organizing. I received my undergrad degree at the State University of New York at Geneseo in International Relations concentrating on War and Peace Studies. Since the completion of my Bachelors degree, I have worked in Toronto with the inner-city youth with behavioral and social problems in an effort to empower them by strengthening their soft skills and confidence building. I have also worked with the immigration population, especially women by developing and implementing relevant programs that would assist the population with smooth transition integration in the western society. Last year, I went to Pakistan, to assist a professor from the School of Social Work at UB in carrying out a research study on the conditions of women in Pakistan. The purpose of the study was to assess social conditions that contribute to women’s empowerment and their struggles in battling societal injustice. At CEJ, I am looking forward to work with excellent team of organizers and promoting CEJ's mission and vision.

Kwadwo Fosu
I’m a graduate student in the School of Social Work at The State University of New York at Buffalo. Born and raised in Ghana, West Africa, I attained my Bachelor’s of Arts in Social Sciences with a concentration in Social Gerontology. My background work experience has mostly been with the elderly population ranging from hospitals, nursing homes and basic home care of the elderly. I got into the Social Work profession because I am person who is willing to reach out a helping hand to people in communities who need a voice to voice out their opinions and issues. It takes a lot to wake up daily and say I want to help people. I want people to educate people of all different races and background and make them realize the inequalities and injustices that surround us. As an intern at Coalition for Economic Justice, my goal is learn about community organizing, campaign activities and engaging with the community.

No comments: